Cardstocks, as the name suggests, are the perfect type of paper to make into cards. Invitation cards, business cards, greeting cards, menu cards – anything can be created with these cardstock papers.
These papers are sturdy, thick and absolutely perfect for making into all kinds of cards.
When you have the best printer for cardstock invitations, you can design, print and make your own cardstock invitations without having to rely on any professional printing businesses.
Cardstocks are especially hard and thick paper with 80# cover weight, which means only special printers are needed to print on them.
When you have the right kind of printer, you can use all types of cardstock paper to print invitations and different kinds of cards with them.
In this product recommendation article, we’ll find detailed information on six different types of printers – all perfect for printing cardstock invitations.
Top 10 Best Cardstock Printers
Below is all the information you are going to need on the six best printers for printing cardstock invitations, so that you can make the right decision.
1. WorkForce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer
From Epson, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of printers, the Workforce WF-7210 is an expert-quality printer that can be used perfectly for printing cardstock invitations.
It provides absolutely print shop quality color graphics, as well as razor-sharp text – both what you will need for printing invitations. Powered by Precision Core, this inkjet printer gives a much better printing quality than laser printers.
Only Genuine Epson inks are recommended for use with the WF-7210 printer. This is a recommendation directly from Epson; otherwise, non-formulated printer ink can damage your printer completely. Damage like that isn’t covered by the Epson warranty so it is better to always use Genuine Epson ink with this printer.
This printer can make borderless prints up to 13” x 19” in size in vivid and bright colors. With the Dash Replenishments Feature of this printer, you’ll never suddenly run out of ink.
This feature keeps track of ink usage and automatically orders more when needed and when your printer is running low.
The printer can also hold more than 500 sheets of paper and comes with dual trays, as well as a rear feed tray for holding specialty paper and an output tray that can hold 125 sheets of paper.
- Perfect for cardstock invitations and other projects
- Prints quality color graphics and razor sharp texts
- Powered by PrecisionCore
- Gives a much better printing quality than laser printers
- Only Genuine Epson inks are recommended
- Can make borderless prints
- Prints up to 13” x 19” in size
- Comes with the Dash Replenishments Feature
- Keeps track of ink usage and automatically orders more when needed
- Can also hold more than 500 sheets of paper
- Comes with dual trays
- Comes with a rear feed tray for holding specialty paper
- Comes with an output tray that can hold 125 sheets of paper
2. Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer
Only 6.3” x 23.3” x 13.1” in size, this versatile printer from Canon can print on paper up to 13” x 19” in size. This printer can be used to print large borderless photos and invitations on paper.
This best cardstock printer also comes with a 6-color ink system that includes gray ink. With a total of 9600 x 2400 dots per inch, this printer gives you amazing details and incredible prints on every kind of paper.
The Canon IP8720 is a wireless printer, also compatible with AirPrint and Cloud Storage. You can place this printer anywhere around the house and use your devices to print from it.
This printer is compatible with most kind of ink, including PGI 250 Pigment Black XL, CLI 251 Cyan XL, CLI 251 Magenta XL, CLI 251 Yellow XL, CLI 251 Gray XL, CLI 251 Black XL , PGI 250 Pigment Black, CLI 251 Cyan, CLI 251 Magenta, CLI 251 Yellow, CLI 251 Gray, CLI 251 Black ink.
The Canon IP8720 is also quite fast, and can print up to 14.5 images in under a minute for black and white images and text, and up to 10.4 color images per minute.
- Diameter: 6.3” x 23.3” x 13.1”
- Can print on paper up to 13” x 19” in size
- Can print large borderless photos and invitations
- Comes with a 6-color ink system including gray ink
- 9600 x 2400 dots per inch
- Gives you amazing details and incredible prints
- Wireless printer that works from every corner of the house
- Compatible with AirPrint and Cloud Storage
- Compatible with most kind of ink
- Can print up to 14.5 black-and-white images in a minute
- Can print up to 10.4 color images per minute
3. HP ENVY Photo 7155 All-in-One Photo Printer
Wireless and Bluetooth Connected, the HP Envy 7155 is an all-in-one printer that is compatible with Alexa, iPhone AirPrint as well as Wireless Direct Printing. Ink for the first four-month of use comes free with the printer itself, which makes it easy to work on your initial projects.
Besides, with this versatile printer, you can not just print cardstock invitations, but also print, scan and copy documents and images. Ink for the HP Envy 7155 is extremely affordable, with just 5 cents cost required for printing each sheet of paper.
Being a wireless device, this printer can be placed anywhere around your home or office and used to print from your computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. The printer is compatible with both dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Connectivity.
With the HP Smart App, you can not just print pictures, photos, images, and text documents from your smart gadgets, but also set up the printer, print from social media and cloud storage, and scan documents using your camera.
The HP Envy 7155 is also compatible with iCloud, DropBox, and Google Drive, making this an incredibly smart and well-connected printer. It can also print directly from an SD card, and can also view, edit and print anything directly by using the touchscreen on the printer itself.
The printer supports a wide range of paper sizes and types, including 4×5 in, 4×6 in, 5×7 in, 8×10 in letter size paper and No. 10 envelopes.
- Wireless and Bluetooth Connected printer
- Compatible with Alexa, iPhone AirPrint and Wireless Direct Printing
- Can print, scan and copy documents and images
- Affordable ink costs 5 cents to print each page
- Can be placed anywhere around your home or office
- Can be used to directly print from your computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone
- Compatible with both dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Connectivity
- Compatible with HP Smart App
- Smart App can be used to set up printer, print from social media and cloud storage, and scan documents using the camera
- Compatible with iCloud, DropBox and Google Drive
- Can print directly from a SD card
- Printer touchscreen can be used to view, edit and print anything directly
- Supports a wide range of paper size and type
4. Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wide-Format Printer
Although primarily for printing wide-format and vivid-colored images and photos, the Epson Expression can also be used on cardstock to print invitations and cards of your choice.
This printer, like all the other models from Epson, is recommended for use with only Epson Cartridges and Epson Genuine Ink. Using anything else can damage both the printer and the cartridges beyond repair.
Because of the Professional Ultra HD photo quality, you can print absolutely stunning and vivid images, designs and texts with the Epson Expression XP-15000. This printer can print borderless wide-format images and invitations up to 13” x 19” in size.
The printer comes with 6 individual Claria photo ink cartridges that also include grey and red ink so that both black-and-white and colorful images get the best possible print in this printer. The sound pressure level of this almost silent printer is around 49 dB(A).
This printer comes with a 50 sheet tray for specialty media paper which includes cardstock for printing invitations, as well as a 200 sheet front tray. With these best printers for wedding invitations, you can automatically print on both sides of a sheet of paper without having to remove the paper from the printer or flip it.
Besides, the Dash Replenishment Feature of the printer keeps track of ink usage and automatically orders more ink online when running low.
- Recommended for use with only Epson Cartridges and Epson Genuine Ink
- Perfect for printing wide-format and vivid-colored images and photos
- Gives Professional Ultra HD photo quality
- Can print borderless wide-format images and invitations
- Can print on paper up to 13” x 19” in size
- Comes with 6 individual Claria photo ink cartridges
- Cartridges include grey and red ink
- Sound pressure level: 49 dB(A)
- Comes with a 50 sheet tray for specialty media paper
- Comes with a 200 sheet front tray
- Can automatically print on both sides of a sheet of paper
- Comes with Dash Replenishment Feature that keeps track of ink use and orders ink
5. HP Tango Smart Wireless Printer
For professionals whose lives revolve around their smartphones and other smart gadgets, this is a smart printer perfect for homes and small businesses.
Wherever you are, you can print anything with this best printer for cardstock printing from your smart gadgets and phones, even when you are not in the vicinity of the printer.
Sleek and modern design, the HP Tango is a hands-free device and a voice-activated printer. You can simply use your smartphones to print anything with this printer without having to go near it. The HP Tango smart printer is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, hence you can control it with your voice or your phone.
Anything that’s on your Cloud Storage or Social Media can be printed directly by using this printer. With the HP Tango Instant Ink Plan, your printer will automatically order ink even before you run out of it.
Although a relatively slim and small device, you can use this printer to print borderless photos and cardstock invitations up to 5” x 7” in size.
The printer is extremely easy to set up and use, and can be automatically connected to your smartphone with no problem.
- Sleek and compact design
- Hands-free and voice activated printer
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Can be controlled with voice and smartphone
- Can be used to directly print from Cloud Storage or Social Media
- Compatible with the HP Tango Instant Ink Plan to automatically order ink
- Can print borderless photos and cardstock invitations
- Can print anything up to 5” x 7” in size
- Extremely easy to set up and use
- Can be easily connected to any smartphone
6. Canon TS9521C All-in-One Wireless Crafting Printer
Although perfect for printing crafting supplies, this all-in-one printer can also be used for cardstock invitations and printing images. This best printer for cardstock comes with 5 individual ink cartridges that mix together to create every single color in the world.
Anything printed with this printer won’t fade for 100 years or more; even photos printed in this printer can stay perfect for more than 30 years.
You can use this versatile printer to print from your smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer, as well as from a memory card or from the Cloud. The Canon TS9521C is also compatible with AirPrint, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth and Morea Print Service.
Small and sleek in design, this printer from Canon can print cardstock invitations and photographs up to 12” x 12” in size. Beside printing, this printer can also be used for scanning documents and automatically feeding multiple documents to the printer.
This is a great printer for printing 7” x 10” greeting cards and invitation cards on cardstock and other similar paper types.
- Basically designed to print crafting materials
- Comes with 5 individual ink cartridges
- Photos printed will not fade for 1oo years
- Can be used to print from your smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer
- Can be used to print from memory card or Cloud storage
- Compatible with AirPrint, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth and Morea Print Service
- Can print on paper up to 12” x 12” in size
- Can also be used for scanning documents
- Can automatically feeding multiple documents to the printer
- Can print 7” x 10” greeting cards and cardstock invitations
How Can I Print Greeting Cards at Home?
If you have the best printer for Cardstock Invitation, it is not just possible, but very easy to print your own greeting cards and invitation cards at home.
Regular paper is not suitable to print greeting cards on. Rather, the paper type needed to make into greeting cards need to be thicker and sturdier than regular paper. This is why cardstock paper is widely used to print invitation cards and greeting cards on.
Cardstock paper is available in different sizes, ranging from 6” x 6”, 7” x 7”, 6.25” x 9”, 4.5” x 6.25”. 5” x 7” to 7” x 10” in size. Most of these cardstock papers are folded into halves to make invitation or greeting cards, which means it is very important to choose the right size for your cards.
Whichever size of cardstock you choose will be folded into a half and automatically become half in size.
For most greeting cards, wedding invitations, party invitations, and program invitations, 8.5” x 11” cardstock paper is used as they can be folded to 5.5” x 8.5” cards.
Printing on your cardstock paper is almost the same as printing on any regular paper with a good printer. Any design can be created on your computer or downloaded from the Internet for this purpose, which can then be resized and edited to fit the paper.
Greeting card designs can also be customized with names and messages before printing. This can be easily done by using Microsoft Word, MsPaint or Adobe PhotoShop on your computer.
These programs can also be used to directly print your design on your cardstock using the printer you have.
Before printing, however, the page needs to be set up properly, whether you are using Ms Paint, Ms Word or Adobe Photoshop.
There are some specific steps to be followed for setting up the page properly, which should be done before the design is placed on the file.
- Create a new document or a paint file.
- Set up the page to the size you want your greeting or invitation card to be, after folding it in half.
- Choose between “landscape” or “Portrait” depending on the design you have in mind.
- Confirm your choices.
If you want to print on both the front and the back of the card at the same time, you need to choose the size of the paper before you’re folding it in half.
You can place any text or design on both sides of the paper by dividing it into two columns. In each column, you can put any text, design, image or photo by centering it or placing it on the right or left side.
When your design is complete, save the design. Select Print on the computer and wait for the printer to start working. If your printer is already connected to the computer and you have already placed cardstock paper inside the printer, printing should start automatically.
Depending on the design, your printer can take a few seconds or even a few minutes to finish printing. When printing is completed, it is a good idea to wait for a few minutes for the ink to dry, especially if you are using an inkjet printer.
After the paint has dried, you can fold the paper into half to resemble an invitation card or a greeting card. The entire process isn’t very different from printing on a regular piece of paper, except for the part about designing the card.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Can I use any printer to print on cardstock paper?
A. Almost every home these days has a printer for printing official and school documents. However, a regular home printer isn’t a very good choice for printing invitations or greeting cards on cardstock.
Not all printers can handle a relatively thick paper like cardstock and the end result wouldn’t be very satisfactory.
For the best results for printing invitation cards or greeting cards on cardstock, it is better to use a printer that can handle the job.
With the right kind of printer like the WorkForce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer or the HP ENVY Photo 7155 All-in-One Photo Printer, you can print anything on cardstock paper.
Q. Which kind of printer is best for printing on cardstock – laser printer or inkjet printer?
A. Although laser printers come in a lot of features and specialties these days, they aren’t really equipped to handle thick materials like cardstock, which is thicker and heavier than regular paper.
Laser printers are mostly suited to print documents on regular paper, while inkjet printers are mostly used for printing special items. Just like printing photographs and images, inkjet printers are more suited to work with cardstock.
There are, of course, some laser printers that can work on cardstock, but the options are quite limited there compared to inkjet printers.
Most laser printers that can work on cardstock belong to high-end brands and are more expensive than regular laser or inkjet printers.
Q. Do I need special ink for printing on Cardstock?
A. Since inkjet printers are mostly used to print on Cardstock, the ink cartridges that are suitable for these printers are good enough for printing on Cardstock.
In some brands, i.e. Epson, only Genuine Epson ink cartridges and ink are recommended for the best results. In other brands, any ink cartridges compatible with inkjet printers are good enough to work on cardstock.
Q. Which side of cardstock is used for printing on?
A. Although the difference is subtle, one side of cardstock is usually whiter compared to the other side. This is because the side that is matt coated is whiter by comparison.
Printing is usually done on the matt-coated side to make the design as bright as possible. Printing on the coated side will also make the design appear brighter and smoother than printing on the uncoated side.
Not all printers are suitable to print on cardstock to make invitations or greeting cards, as these papers are generally thicker and heavier than regular paper.
However, there are also some high-end printers available in the market more suitable for printing on cardstock, as mentioned, listed and described in detail in this product review article.